Thursday 10 October 2013

Pre-trip: Cost

What concerned me the most was still about money. I was hoping that this trip would not cost me more than 20,000 RMB. If it was more, I would be feeding my dog some pieces of my flesh for sure when I got back. I had to carefully calculate the total cost of this trip.

Based on the useful information from Spinn Cafe, we should be very clear with the travel agency about the cost included in the tour package. Spinn Cafe suggested below:

In your email, you should state very clearly the followings:
  1. Your choice of transportation, both inward and outward. >> Excluded from the tour package meaning we had to pay for our own flight/train ticket in and out from Lhasa.
  2. Permit price. >> Already included. No need to pay separately.
  3. All entrance fees, ask them to list all. If you decide not to go to one single place, you should be able to get back the entrance fee you paid. >> All listed in the trip details.
  4. Hotel price of each place and each single night of your stay in the bigger towns (e.g. Lhasa and Shigatse), or small places (e.g. Namtso Lake and Everest Base Camp). >> Excluded from the tour package meaning we had to pay from our own choice of accommodation. The guide would help us find the hotel/guesthouse for us.
  5. Type of rented vehicle (e.g. Ruifeng Business Van or Toyota 4500 land cruiser) for your itinerary. >> Toyota Land Cruiser
  6. Salaries, accommodations and meals of driver and tour guide for the whole trip (not just for one single day). >> Already included. No need to pay separately.
  7. Transportation from / to the airport / train station and your hotel (first day and last day of your trip). >> Pickup service included.
  8. Meals may or may not be included. >> Not included. No problem.
  9. Service and tippings. >> We should tip the driver and the guide separately based on their performances.
  10. Ask them if it's a all-included package, are there anything missing, etc? >> Aye, should be fine.
The travel agency also included the conditions in the itinerary details.



The agency said the cost for food would be around 100 RMB per day (3 meals), and the cost for the accommodation would be around 100 - 200 RMB per day. 

I am quite picky about what I eat, but luckily I don't mind where I sleep. I thought my accommodation spending would not cost more than 100 RMB per day (hopefully).

So, the breakdown of the cost for 15-day trip (excluding flight/train ticket) would go something like...

Tour Package = USD 1,200 - 1,300 >> around 8,000 RMB
Food = 100 x 15 = 1,500 RMB
Accommodation = 100 x 15 = 1,500 RMB
Entrance fee and tips = 2,000 RMB
Other spending = 1,000 RMB 
TOTAL = 14,000 RMB

Somehow I was still worried that it would cost more than this. If it was more, then I would be doomed >_<

No comments:

Post a Comment