Saturday 12 October 2013

Pre-trip: Adding Travel Companion

While waiting for the itinerary confirmation from the travel agency, I managed to contact another guy who I saw his post in LP forum. Coincidentally, he was also from Thailand. His name is Jeff. I told him that we were looking for another person to join our group of three. If he was interested, he had to make a decision quickly coz we had to finalize everything and book the tour with the travel agency within a day or two, otherwise the permit might not be completed in time. He said that he was also contacting with another travel agency, but the trip would be 22 days which didn't fit with the Latvia couple's plan. They had a fix departure date for 15-day trip in Tibet.

Our trip would start on 10 Sep and finish on 24 Sep. The couple would like to do the Kailash Kora during the full moon for religious reason. The full moon would be on 19 Sep which was also a Chinese Holiday (Mid-Autumn Day). I just thought that it would also be nice to see Kailash with full moon in the background, that's all. 

Jeff said that he really wanted to go to Kailash this year and agreed to join our group almost right away. In fact, he was about to go there last year, but suddenly China decided to close Tibet, so his trip was cancelled without a doubt. I was really happy to know that he decided to go with us. To find someone from the same country who was heading to the same destination on the internet in such a short period of time was like winning a lottery (which I never won any in my life). I told the couple about this great news. They also agreed to add in another person.

The couple talked with the agency. They sent us a new quote for 4 persons. I checked the trip details and saw that they changed the vehicle from SUV to van. I asked the couple about this (they didn't check this part). ALWAYS check the itinerary and trip details carefully, especially after there is any modification.

The agency said that for 4 persons, they had to change the vehicle from SUV to van. The couple didn't want to take the van. They said that it was not very cost efficient and would be less comfortable. They checked many reviews and everyone recommended to have the SUV instead of the van (I read the same). They said that we would have to spend many hours in the car  and the road quality was not good. Plus there were quite a few curves on the mountain roads that could make us all have sea sick. 

They understood that it would be better for me to have 4th person in the group especially with the same nationality but it would have quite some impact on the comfort and quality of the trip, so they suggested that we went with the original plan and booked the tour based on 3 persons only. Also, the price for 4 persons would be slightly cheaper.

I just won the lottery. No hell way I would be giving it up!!


I told the couple that I agreed that the land cruiser would be more comfortable. I went through hell in Yunnan before in a super small van on the endless construction roads so I truly understood their concern.

About the cost, I could use the price difference between 3 and 4 persons to cover the flight ticket back from Lhasa. Also, with another person, I could share the accommodation cost for the double room in case there was no cheap dorm bed. The cost was the point that I was most worried about. I told them that I had quite a limited budget so if I could save a few hundred bucks, then I wouldn't hesitate to grab the chance.

Apart from the cost, it would be very helpful to have another person from the same nationality traveling with me as they said. Plus, it would also be more enjoyable for us all.

I found that actually we could fit 4 pax in land cruiser. Many agencies also made this offer. I asked them to negotiate with the travel agency about this. Also, probably we all would bring our big backpacks, so we could save up some space in the back and tie the backpacks on the car roof instead.

The couple talked to the agency again. The agency agreed to use the SUV, but someone would need to sit in the back and take turn with the guide. Jeff said no problem. The couple then accepted it.

At first, I was thinking about abandoning this couple group if they didn't accept the fourth person. I would rather go with Jeff and try to find another two new persons to share the cost later on the internet. We could go probably 2 weeks later with no problem at all.

I saw the cloudy sky, but I didn't imagine that it was a sign of a big storm approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment